My family

My family

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bike trials not bike trails

So I know I am not alone but when is the last time you road a bike? 

For me it's been well over 15 yrs. I purchased a bike trailer/stroller for my boys recently and decided it was time for a bike. I have seen all people of shapes and sizes on bikes on the trail so I thought it's as simple as riding a bike right? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

First, I had to get a girls bike because I am so short but when I got home it was so hard!!! Riding a bike is not easy and being overweight is not easy!!! Both combined well that's a whole different "scale".  I was so scared and couldn't get going. I couldn't grasp the pedals and it was even midnight so no one was around and I gave up! I was sweating, trying my best and hurting my legs while I was at. I went back to Walmart and returned the girls mountain bike. Fail!!!!

The next day, I decided I can't give up so I surfed the web for what bikes are best of overweight people and most sites said a beach cruiser. I was afraid to purchase another bike and fail but I decided to do it anyways, I had that bike trailer and had to use it other than a jogging stroller! My bike came in less than a week and when my husband went to pick it up he said "I am on my way so be ready to go for a bike ride." Which means is you bought this bike, I picked it up and so let's do this! My husband wasn't going to listen to any of my excuses so I decided to pray and ask God to help!

As he locked the trailer on his bike I had the privilege of practicing riding in front of my busy street as everyone watched. Not a pretty thing but this overweight gal sucked her gut in......I am mean her pride in and focused on the bike and I finally did it!! I have to say that the saying "It's as easy as riding a bike" is false!   Sorry riding is bike is far from easy!!! We went for a ride for two miles on our trail and I made it!


Before the hell ride
During the week to come I went up to 3 miles on a street route which was scary. Maybe it's because it was dark and late! But also I am not quite use to traffic yet. 

 Just recently conquered another bike fear which was pulling 65 plus pounds of twinados behind my bike.


After the ride, hanging out with no electricity
Why did I chose it on crazy weather day I will never know. We went for 3.5 miles and headed on the trail for two miles and I saw the lightening but was thinking what the heck lets go for another mile or so. I headed south from the trail and that's when the wind started picking up really bad. I had to pull over and cover up my babies so dirt and leaves would stop getting in their eyes. I turned right and headed west after the wind storm hit and thought okay we need to hurry as I felt the drops come on my face. Shish what did I get myself and my boys into.  Next thing after the drops the wind help me proceed west but here comes my north turn before hitting my street and that was okay just a bit windy but THAN it was heading east towards home now!!! I swear the wind was my enemy, the force was pulling me back and it was so strong!!! I had to push and push and thought I had to get my babies home. It almost felt like slow motion because I was peddling so slow because the wind was holding me down. It was awful, I wanted to quit and give up but I saw my husband from afar whom just got home from his second job so I peddled and keep thinking I was Dorothy because the storm felt just like she went through the storm and struggling to get home before the tornado hit in the first part of Wizard of OZ. My husband was my Auntie Em looking for me, but he wasn't really.  It was the hardest pull on my way home but I made it and some of my neighbors saw me because thanks for the humid wonderful summer storm my lights were out!! Well I did it!! I am happy!
Lightening! It went straight down and sideways!

In closing I just wanted to let you know with everything going on in my life homeschooling, reorganizing, getting healthy I am afraid I can't commit to blogging everyday! Family first and my health. I had a bit of a health scare last week and really took a breather from everything to see where my stress was coming from. God is my healer and I know his hand is upon me. This week I am more focused to overcome my bumps from last week and I know I will overcome!






Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you
1 Peter 5:7

1 comment:

  1. Kim, don't feel badly about not blogging often. It's totally understandable.

    And bike rides in that kind of weather is difficult for anyone. I once got caught riding a bike in very strong winds and struggled as you describe here. So congrats for having conquered it.

    After this ordeal, the next time you ride will be easy-peezy not dealing with the weather.

    It brings a smile to my face seeing the pics of you riding a bike!

    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete